Hello, NTHS Advisors! I’m Carol Kaczmarek, the NTHS Chapter Development Director. Welcome to the “Carol’s Corner” page. This page offers tips on how to keep your chapter thriving. Have a tip you’d like to share? Email me so I can post it here.
I’ve tried to keep this page simple, breaking down the tips into categories so you can quickly access information you need.
Be sure to also view the NTHS Quick-Start Guide for valuable information.
Set the deadline date for students to complete their online applications far enough in advance to give them time to do so. Two or three weeks is usually a good timeframe.
When entering members, be sure to use a unique email address for each student. Please use students’ personal email addresses and not their school email addresses. Upon graduation, many students’ school email addresses are deleted by the school, and members can no longer log in to their NTHS accounts. We want our NTHS members to be able to log in and continue to enjoy benefits as alumni members.
Proofread your entries, to be sure names are spelled correctly, and also in proper upper and lower case format.
Make sure to enter the correct graduation date for your members.
Order your memberships and graduation regalia at the same time. Even if you have the students pay the school for the graduation regalia, it will save them a lot of money. If an individual places an order, UPS ground shipping for one or two items is $9 and up. However, if a school places an order for graduation regalia, the max ground shipping charge is $30. You can simply divide that
charge among your students and they’ll only pay a little bit of shipping.
NTHS is “prime” but we are not Amazon. Schools will receive regalia faster than individuals who have items shipped to their homes.
As you are checking out, make sure your shipping and billing addresses are correct.
Choose the “date needed” as the day you need your order delivered. Allow enough time when received to get certificates signed and to insert the ID cards and certificates into the portfolios.
Here are some ideas to assist you with the payment process for NTHS membership fees:
- Credit card and PayPal payments at checkout are the preferred methods of payment when placing your membership orders.
- NTHS also accepts school Purchase Orders. Choose the Purchase Order option and type your PO number in the box. Payments are due within 30 days from the date of the invoice (Net 30). You may call with a credit card or mail a school check when payment is due.
- If your school requires the use of Purchase Orders, please let us know so that we may note your account.
- PO’s not required? You can still choose the Purchase Order option and type N/A in the box to receive the Net 30 payment terms.
- Kindly note that NTHS does not fill membership or product orders straight from Purchase Orders. All orders must be placed online through our secure website.
- If you cannot collect funds from students in person, does your school have a PayPal, Venmo, or other electronic payment account? Get permission from your administration to have students submit their membership payments to your school electronically. The school can then submit the full payment to NTHS.
- Process the entire membership order at once, to incur only one $10 processing fee. There is one processing fee per membership order (not per membership) and we encourage Advisors to process as many members at once as they can.
- Idea: Send your qualifying students invitations to join NTHS via email, and then follow up with a mailed hard-copy invitation and application form. (Student member applications are located under the Advisor Resources tile, when logged in.) Ask the students to mail their payments and applications to you by a specific deadline date. We accept student money orders made payable to “NTHS”. You may then mail the money orders to NTHS when you complete and process the order, and receive the invoice.
- Kindly note that NTHS does not currently accept payment of membership dues directly from students. We are researching options to handle individual payments in the future.
Talk with other student organizations on your campus to see what they’re doing. Perhaps a number of organizations can work together on a school or community project.
Have your members create a display case with a sample membership, posters, photos of projects, etc.
Elect officers to help keep your chapter meetings and events running smoothly.
Plan how to reach out to CTE students to encourage them to join. Have a contest to see who can recruit the most qualified candidates for the next induction.
Ask your members to brainstorm ideas for speakers for chapter meetings and inductions.
Award Honorary Memberships to those in your school and community who have supported your chapter.
Have members showcase their skills (after obtaining the necessary permissions), for example – Culinary Arts students could offer free food prep and cooking demos; Auto-tech students could present a car care workshop or auto safety tips; Cosmetology students could offer free personal care to nursing home residents, etc.
Apply for the Silver Star of Excellence Award to receive national recognition for your chapter and members.
Hang posters in all CTE classrooms and give all CTE teachers NTHS brochures.
New chapter advisor(s)? Just email or call Carol Kaczmarek at 800-801-7090. No need to submit a new charter application.
Official NTHS Diploma Seals are provided with every membership order. They are in a separate envelope which reads, “OFFICIAL NTHS SEALS ENCLOSED. This envelope contains membership seals to be placed on diploma or certificate of training. Please keep in a safe place until needed.” Many chapters have the school registrar retain them.
We want to feature your chapter news and photos on our social media platforms. Please email items to Brandon Ramirez, our Social Content Director.
Follow NTHS on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Linkedin.
Remind your members to log in to access letters of recommendation and scholarship opportunities.
Draft a set of chapter by-laws.
July 2020 tip – Hello, Advisors! We hope you are enjoying a fantastic summer because you have MORE than earned a break!
We just want to send a quick reminder to order your free NTHS promo items now to have on hand as soon as school is in session. Simply log in and click on the “Free Promotional Materials” tile to access the order form.
More than ever, CTE is so important and NTHS is proud to help you recognize your outstanding students and provide the materials and resources you need.
Enjoy your summer and remember that NTHS is ALWAYS here for you!
June 2020 tip – This month, we want to offer thanks to all of our fantastic “NTHS Education Angels” for the amazing work you have been doing!
Our COO, Kate Allen, coined that term a couple of months ago and it’s certainly fitting. One online dictionary gives the definition of “angel” as: “Used in similes or comparisons to refer to a person’s outstanding beauty, qualities or abilities.”
As NTHS advisors, you have certainly demonstrated outstanding qualities and abilities during this challenging school year! From our advisors who had to get creative with gathering student information to register them, to our advisors who had to quickly learn our ordering processes and then made sure their qualified CTE students became members, to the advisors who’ve had to scramble at the last minute to get graduation regalia ordered, to the advisors who’ve spent countless hours of their time and probably in some cases their own money to be certain their dedicated CTE students are recognize…our very heartfelt thanks.
As always, we are here for you, and NTHS wouldn’t be the organization that it is without all of you.
With our deepest gratitude for all you do,
Carol Kaczmarek and the NTHS Team
May 2020 tip – Now more than ever, it’s important to give thanks to those in your school and community who have continued to support your NTHS chapter. Recognize these outstanding individuals and companies with NTHS Honorary Memberships.
Give yourselves and your members big kudos too! Apply for the NTHS Silver Star of Excellence Award. Submissions may be sent electronically. For information, please contact our Executive Director, Mr. Peyton Holland. We want to be sure to acknowledge and celebrate all of your hard work!
April 2020 tip – During this unprecedented time for our Advisors (and for everyone!), NTHS remains committed to helping you recognize your outstanding CTE students.
Advisor Tips for Overcoming Disruption
- Need assistance with the initial upload of your students? Click here for info!
- Contact us if you would like to extend student application deadline dates to give your pending members more time to complete their online form.
- With most schools being closed, NTHS can ship orders to your home address if needed. Just choose the “ship to a different address” option at check out and type in your residential address. Or, type the information in the “Order Notes” section at checkout.
March 2020 tip – Fully register your new NTHS members well in advance of graduation so they have plenty of time to apply for our exclusive Jon H. Poteat Scholarship! The scholarship application deadline is now May 31st. Already have a thriving chapter? Make sure to apply for our Silver Star of Excellence Award! The application deadline has been extended to June 15th.
February 2020 tip – Plan a “CTE Day” so your members can demonstrate their skills to your school, and the general public. As Duke Wallin, Advisor at Southeast Area Technical High School and February’s Advisor of the Month states, “CTE includes relevance and real world experiences that keep kids in school. The benefits of a career tech education are endless.”
December 2019 tip – Did you know that you can easily order reprinted membership certificates online? Just log in and click on the “Reprints” tile. Select the quantity of reprints you desire, and then list the names of the members to be reprinted in the “Order Notes” field on the checkout page. The cost is $3 each and includes the certificate, the ID card and USPS postage.
November 2019 tip – With Thanksgiving approaching,make sure you place your orders in plenty of time to avoid expedited shipping charges. We will be closed several days for the holiday, and reopening December 2nd. If at all possible, make sure to order your graduation regalia at the same time you order your memberships. We promise it will save you time later.
October 2019 tip – Induct your new members in the Fall, rather than waiting until the Spring. This will give your members more time to use their membership benefits and apply for scholarships. All their membership materials will be sent to your attention, so please make sure to distribute them to your students in a timely manner.
September 2019 tip – Save money by ordering all your members’ graduation regalia and ceremonial items at one time to take advantage of our “Free Shipping on Merchandise Orders Over $150” offer. This is a limited time special, but if you combine your chapter’s orders into one, you can save both your school and your members a lot on shipping cost!
August 2019 tip – When registering new members, please use students’ personal email addresses, not their school email addresses. Upon graduation, many students’ school email addresses are deleted, and they can no longer log in to their NTHS accounts. We want members to continue enjoying their benefits as they transition to Alumni status.